Being the best man is one of the biggest honours you can receive at a wedding, and the best man’s speech is without a doubt the most eagerly anticipated of all the wedding speeches because you’re expected to give a speech that respects, honours, makes the crowd laugh and cry, and pays tribute to the special couple on the most important day of their lives.
When you’re giving your best man’s speech, make sure you print / write it onto cue cards and rehearse – practice makes perfect! Using humour is expected but avoid telling inside jokes and controversial topics. Keep the audience in mind and if you’re unsure who is going to be there then it’s worth talking to the groom about the guest list so you can ensure that your speech is audience appropriate.
As well as some anecdotes about the past, it is also nice to take the time to acknowledge the bride and this new life that the newlyweds are about to begin together. Make sure your speech does not go on for too long – aim for around 5 minutes and remember that it may take longer to actually deliver your speech than when you rehearse it as you will hopefully be allowing time for laughter and applause! The goal of the speech is to celebrate the couple and make them look good.
In conclusion, the important thing to do when making a best man’s speech is to thank people for being there, describe your connection to the groom, make people laugh while avoiding any cringe-inducing comments, and to finish the speech with a toast to the bride and groom.
Delivering your Best Man speech
1. Introduction – welcome guests, thank the hosts, and compliment the bridesmaids.
2. Introduce yourself and explain your relationship to the Groom – how long you have known him, why you are friends etc.
3. One or two anecdotal stories about you and the Groom. There should be good-natured digs at the Groom but they should be affectionate and balanced by some kinder words.
4. Compliment the Bride and why they are great for each other.
5. The ending – whether serious or humorous, this should be heart-felt and memorable. Then finish your speech with a toast to the happy couple.
The Crowne Plaza Hawkesbury Hotel & Spa will ensure that each and every detail of your big day is simply perfect. Our unobtrusive yet attentive service ensures that you can both relax and fully enjoy this memorable occasion.
Find out for yourself what makes The Crowne Plaza Hawkesbury Hotel a leader amongst wedding venues in the Hawkesbury region. To contact our event planner, 02 4577 4222 or click here to request further information.